I could barely stop smiling this morning with Ms. Geach’s kindergarteners on their first day of school! All classes were very well behaved today.
We got off on a tangent today with Ms. Essic’s class talking about Foot and Mouth Artists . These are disabled artists who use their feet and mouths to make art! These artists don’t let anything stop them!
4th graders, I want to remind you about my Artists of Color door, which is a door where I feature artists who have overcome prejudice and challenges related to their class, race, or gender to be great artists. Currently, the list includes Gordon Parks, Elizabeth Catlett Mora, and Jacob Lawrence. My art room library also includes books about Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, who are famous Latino artists.
1st Graders will be studying Joaquin Torres-Garcia, a Uruguayan painter who is known for his cityscapes. Older grades will study Mexican abstract expressionist Rufino Tamayo as well. His painting Tres Personajas, is famous, because it was recently sold at auction for millions after being found in a dumpster in Manhattan!
I have been an Art Specialist in Fulton County Schools since 2007. Do I really look like this?
First Grader’s Perspective
I am looking forward to doing so many wonderful projects this year- everything from building with clay and paper mache’ to drawing and painting. It is always important to remember the Art Room Rules.
1. Enjoy learning! Even if you don’t do it well at first, practice makes a big difference.
2. Participation is required- and FUN! Just help others and ask for help when you need it.
3. Be respectful. We show respect to others and ourselves by being nice and encouraging one another.
4. Do not touch. Would you like it if someone touched your artwork without asking? It could smudge the paint or drawing or change the shape of my clay. Always get permission to touch other people’s things.
5. Do not disturb. There are many things we can do to make it easier for others to be great artists. Work hard yourself and try to help others.
I will update my blog once a week or so. If you want to, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime!
I can’t wait to meet you!
Welcome to WordPress.com. This is your first post. Edit or delete it and start blogging!